2009-12-03 Leave a comment
Sampo Savolainen asked me to design an audio compressor plugin GUI. This triggered a thought process with a first result that is guaranteed to be far way from what he had in mind, but before I may head in a more conventional direction, I just have to explore this
I wondered how one could express what each control of a compressor as the one written by Sampo does. Giving an idea of the signal path and relations between controls. Ideally without labels, even.
The controls provided are:
- High-pass filter on/off for the analyzed signal. Left side. Here I neglected that the signal is split in 2, one for measurement, the other to apply the effect on.
- Treshold. Green line in the graph. Should be draggable from the whole grap area.
- Ratio. Blue fader with round knob, synchronized with the blue line/dot in the graph.
- Markup gain. Fader with red arrow. The graphics show the relation to the first graph.
- Attack and Release time. Below the stop watch icon. I’m worried that the chart below the faders is rather hard to get, so it might be best to drop it and to add labels.
- Dry/wet amount. Right side. The output touching the right corner and the fader handle for this are one.
High-pass switched off: